Darkness to Light Home Page
Books and eBooks by the Director
Reference Works Consulted
By Gary F. Zeolla
This page lists the various reference works which were consulted while producing the Analytical-Literal Translation of the New Testament of the Holy Bible: Second Edition (ALT). All of these works were referred to at one time or another in this project. But the items preceded by an asterisk proved to be particularly helpful.
Note: Many of the items mentioned on this page are available from Books-A-Million, one of Darkness to Light's Sponsors. For direct links to such items, see Books-A-Million Recommendations.
* Bible Search Utility. Freeware program formerly available for download from Compass Distributors and developed by Reese Currie.
* BibleWorks™ for Windows™ Copyright © 1992-1999 BibleWorks, L.C.C. Big Fork, MT: Hermeneutika. Programmed by Michael S. Bushell and Michael D. Tan.
Online Bible. Ontario: Online Bible Foundation and the Woodside Bible Fellowship, 1997.
PC Study Bible. Seattle: Biblesoft, 1996.
Original Language Texts
* Byzantine Majority Text, specifically: The Greek New Testament: Byzantine Textform. Second Edition. Complied, arranged, and thoroughly updated by Maurice A. Robinson and William G. Pierpont. Publication forthcoming.
* Textus Receptus. As found on BibleWorks™ for Windows™. F.A.H. Shrivener, 1881; Theodore Beza, 1598.
Zane C. Hodges and Arthur L. Farstad. The Greek New Testament According to the Majority Text. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1985.
*Critical Text: The Greek New Testament edited by Kurt Aland, Matthew Black, Carlo M. Martini, Bruce M. Metzger, and Allen Wikgren, Fourth Edition, Copyright © 1966, 1968, 1975 by the United Bible Societies and 1993, 1994 by Deutsche Bibelgesellsschaft (German Bible Society), Stuggart (which is identical to the Nestle-Aland 27th Edition of the Greek New Testament). (For Textual Variants appendix).
* Darby, John Nelson. The English Darby Bible (DBY). Public Domain, 1890. (The OT of the ALT, in its initial stage, is an updating of DBY.)
English Bible in Basic English (BBE). C.K. Ogden of the Orthological Institute, England: Cambridge Press, 1949, 1964.
* Green, Jay P. Sr. Literal Translation of the Bible (LITV). LaFayette, IN: Sovereign Grace Publishers, 1976 - 1998.
Green, Jay P. Sr. Modern King James Version (MKJV). LaFayette, IN: Sovereign Grace Publishers, 1976 - 1998.
King James Version (KJV).
New American Bible for Catholics (NAB). Copyright © 1991,1986,1970. Washington, DC; Confraternity of Christian Doctrine.
* New American Standard Bible (NAS77 and NAS95). Copyright © 1960-1995. La Biblia de Las Americas. The Lockman Foundation.
* New King James Version (NKJV). Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publisher, 1982.
New Living Translation (NLT). Tyndale Charitable Trust. 1996.
New Revised Standard Version (NRSV). Copyright © 1989. National Council of Churches of Christ in the USA.
*World English Bible (WEB). Public Domain. 1998.
Wuest, Kenneth. The New Testament: An Expanded Translation. Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1961.
* Young, Robert. Young's Literal Translation of the Holy Bible (YLT). Public Domain, 1898. (The ALT, in its initial stage, was an updating of YLT.)
Many of the above versions as found on Bible Search Utility, BibleWorks™ for Windows™, the Online Bible, and/ or PC Study Bible.
Biblesoft Interlinear. On the PC Study Bible.
* Farstad, Arthur L. et.al. The NKJV Greek-English Interlinear New Testament. Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson, 1994.
* Green, Jay P. Sr. Interlinear Bible. LaFayette, IN: Sovereign Grace Publishers, 1988-1998.
Marshall, Alfred. NASB-NIV Parallel New Testament in Greek and English: with Interlinear Translation. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 1986.
Greek Reference Works
* Friberg, Timothy and Barbara. Analytical Greek New Testament. Copyright © 1994 and Analytical Lexicon to the Greek New Testament. Copyright © 1994. Both as found on BibleWorks™ for Windows™.
Baur, Walter. A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament. 2nd ed. Trans. and rev. by William Arndt, F. Wilbur Gingrich and Fredrick W. Danker. Chicago: University of London Press, 1979.
* Dana, H.E. and Julius Mantey. A Manual Grammar of the Greek New Testament. New York: Macmillian, 1955.
Green, Jay P. and Maurice A. Robinson. A Concise Lexicon to the Biblical Languages. Peabody, MS: Hendrickson Publishers, 1987
* Hewett, James A. New Testament Greek: A Beginning and Intermediate Grammar. Peabody, MS: Hendrickson Publishers, 1986.
* Liddell-Scott Greek English Lexicon (Abridged). Public Domain. As found on BibleWorks™ for Windows™.
Louw, Johannes and Eugene Nida, eds. Greek-English Lexicon. New York: United Bible Societies, 1988. And second edition, Copyright © 1998 as found on BibleWorks™ for Windows™.
* Newman, Barclay M. Jr. A Concise Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament. Copyright © 1971 by United Bible Societies and 1993 by Deutsche Biblelgesellschaft (German Bible Society), Sttugart. As found on BibleWorks™ for Windows™.
Perschbacher, Wesley J. The New Analytical Lexicon. Peabody, MS: Hendrickson Publishers, 1990.
* Robertson, A.T. Word Pictures in the Greek New Testament. Broadman Press, 1934. Also as found on BibleWorks™ for Windows™ and the Online Bible.
Rienecker, Fritz. A Linguistic Key to the Greek New Testament. Trans. and ed. by Cleon Rogers. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 1980.
Strongs Greek/ Hebrew Dictionary. As found on BibleWorks™ for Windows™, the Online Bible, and PC Study Bible.
Thayer, Joseph H. The New Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament. Peabody, MS: Hendrickson Publishers, 1981. Also as found on BibleWorks™ for Windows™ and the Online Bible.
Trent, Richard C. Synonyms of the New Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm.B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 1948.
Vincent, Marvin. Vincents Word Studies of the New Testament. McLean, VA: MacDonald Publishing Co., n.a.
Vines Expository Dictionary. As found on the PC Study Bible.
Wuest, Kenneth. Word Studies in the Greek New Testament. Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1973.
Bible Dictionaries/ Miscellaneous
Estons Bible Dictionary. 1897. As found on BibleWorks™ for Windows™.
Green, Jay P. ed. Classic Bible Dictionary. LaFayette, IN: Sovereign Grace Trust Fund, 1988.
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia. As found on the PC Study Bible.
Nelson's Illustrated Bible Dictionary. (Copyright © 1986, Thomas Nelson Publishers). As found on the PC Study Bible.
Ungers Bible Dictionary. As found on the PC Study Bible.
Young, Robert. Young's Analytical Concordance. Peabody, MS: Hendrickson Publishers, n.a.
English Reference Works
American Heritage ® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition copyright © 1992 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from InfoSoft International, Inc. All rights reserved.
Hudson, Bob and Shelley Townsend, editors. A Christian Writers Manual of Style. (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan), 1988.
Leggett, Glenn, et al. Handbook for Writers (Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall), 1988.
Original Roget's Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases (Americanized Version) is licensed from Longman Group UK Limited. Copyright © 1994 by Longman Group UK Limited. All rights reserved.
* Websters Talking Dictionary/ Thesaurus. Licensed property of Parsons Technology, Inc. v. 1.0b. Software Copyright 1996 by Exceller Software Corp. Based on Random House Websters College Dictionary. Copyright 1995 by Random House, Inc.
Books and eBooks by Gary F. Zeolla, the Director of Darkness to Light
The above References list was first was posted
on this Web site January 8, 1999.
It was last updated to be in accordance with the second edition January 31, 2005.
ALT: Background Pages
Analytical-Literal Translation: Main Page
ALT: Hardcopy and eBook Formats
Search Contact Information
Subject Index Alphabetical List of Pages
to Light Home Page
Click Here for Books and eBooks by Gary F. Zeolla